Friday 23 November 2012

The Rock Star Party






Saturday 17th November saw me up at the crack of dawn, trundling a caseful of Fledglings to the Festival of Romance in Bedford. Having been warned about the (lack of) parking, I'd decided to go by train. However, I hadn't been prepared for the amount of times I'd have to go upstairs, over a bridge and then downstairs to the correct platform – only to go upstairs, then downstairs and upstairs again just to get out of Bedford station! I decided on a cab to the Corn Exchange because I had no idea where it was, only to find the Festival was in a room – up three flights of stairs! I had definitely gone off my caseful of books by the time I arrived!

The day was busy for the most part, although not many actual books were sold, but it was nice mixing with all the other authors, meeting old friends and making new ones. Meeting people in 'real life' so they become more than just a name on Twitter is always fun. Actors in Regency dress performed scenes from a book to riotous applause and some of us went on to the Rock Star party at the Rock Gallery to do readings.

I always like doing readings, I think there's a thwarted actress in me somewhere striving to get out – not that I would have been very good of course – but I'd have had fun failing! The walls in the gallery were covered by black and white photographs of Morrissey, glowering from every angle. Nicky Wells treated us to a song and a reading, which was brilliant fun. Kate Allan the Festival Queen also gave a reading in spite of being very pregnant and having organised the whole Festival. I'm hoping she's got her feet up this weekend and is having a very well-deserved rest.

Here's to next year!


Oh and check out my interview with Morgen Bailey
http://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/daily-interview-no-544-with-writer-berni-stevens/
Thanks Morgen :)





No comments:

Post a Comment